Skip to main content

Julie's Power Muffins



I would have never in a million years tried these (no butter, oil, flour or sour cream... what???) except that Julie swore by them to give her energy throughout the morning and more importantly for those dreaded runs. Now I am hooked on them!  I eat one every day either for breakfast or lunch (and I'll admit that I eat 2 at lunch...) They taste kind of like if a granola bar married a cupcake.

3/4 cup mashed bananas (from about 2 smallish very ripe bananas)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 skim milk
3 cups oats
2 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
1 t vanilla
1 t cinnamon
1/4 cup raisins (golden raisins, dried cranberries, dried cherries... etc.)
1/4 cup mini-chocolate chips
1/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional- my addition because I'm crazy about walnuts)

Mix all ingredients.  Scoop into 12 greased muffin tins and bake at 350 until center comes out clean (around 16 minutes or so).  Delicious warm out of the oven but then store in the fridge well wrapped and reheat in the microwave briefly to melt the chocolate.
150 calories each without the walnuts
165 calories each with the walnuts

Comments