Skip to main content

Tabbouleh

Finely chopped parsley is a challenge for me-- my knife skills are non-existent; I'm afraid of sharp knives so I basically use the equivalent of kitchen putty knives. I tried using the food processor but it turned the parsley into green mush so I used the IKEA version of the  herb chopper thingy. In any event, this salad, adapted from Jerusalem, is delicious, fresh and lemony; it is worth the annoying chopping process.  The original recipe also calls for chopped fresh mint which I'm not crazy about but if you like it, by all means add it to the salad.

1/2 cup fine bulgur wheat
2 large tomatoes or one basket of cherry tomatoes, chopped
1/2 cucumber, peeled, seeded and small diced
2 green onions, sliced
1 shallot, chopped fine
2 large bunches parsley, chopped fine (the recipe calls for 4 but I ran out of steam after chopping 2)
4 T freshly squeezed lemon juice
4 T EVOO
1 t Baharat spice mix
1/4 t ground allspice
salt and pepper to taste
3 oz. feta cheese to top the salad

Place the bulgur in a fine sieve and run cold water over it until the water runs clear; put it in a bowl and cover with boiling water for 30 minutes. Drain and let cool.

Whisk the EVOO, lemon juice, spices, salt and pepper in the bowl you plan to use for the salad. Add all the remaining ingredients and mix gently but thoroughly. Top with the feta.

Comments