Skip to main content

Bacon and Egg Burger

This is without a doubt the best burger I have ever eaten (through no particular skill of my own, I might add). It is inspired by a recipe in a Rachel Ray magazine which is an adaptation of the Graze Burger from Graze in Madison, Wisconsin. You were supposed to ask your butcher to grind 1/2 lb of bacon for you (as if we all naturally have our own butchers) but when I asked them to do that at Whole Foods, they stubbornly refused, citing sanitary issues. I got around this issue by cutting up the bacon at home and chopping it very fine in the food processor. The burger is decadent and delicious beyond belief.

1 lb ground sirloin
1/2 lb ground bacon
1/2 lb ground ribeye steak (I got one smaller steak ground and it was closer to 3/4 lb)
2 large onions
4 slices white cheddar
4 slices yellow cheddar
4 eggs
4 pretzel buns (or brioche)
Mix all the meats together with your hand to distribute evenly without overworking it. Form into 4 giant patties if you're feeling piggish (which I always am). Kosher salt and pepper them generously and let them sit out at room temperature for about 1 hour.
During this time prepare the onions; slice 2 onions (I did one red and one yellow because that's what I had in the house) and cook in 2 T butter over low heat, stirring on occasion for the duration that the burgers are resting. Towards the end, add a splash of red wine and continue cooking until nicely caramelized.

Heat the grill to high; add burgers and cook for about 5 minutes on each side. Add the cheese with around 2 minutes left. After taking them off the grill, cook the eggs over easy and top each burger with a bit of the onion and one over-easy egg.


Comments