Skip to main content

Iced Lemon Cookies

This recipe comes from a friend in my bunco group; April is an amazing cook/baker and I often badger her for recipes. I love these because they are dainty, tender and very very lemony. I picture having these at Downton Abbey with tea...

2 1/4 cup flour
1/2 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
3/4 cup sugar
3 heaping tablespoons lemon zest
1 cup unsalted butter, room temp
1 egg
1 t vanilla extract

Whisk flour, baking powder and salt in a separate bowl (or not). Combine sugar and lemon zest; rub with your fingers to work the zest into the sugar until very fragrant. Add the butter and cream until very light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla until smooth and then flour mixture; beat only until combined.
Preheat oven to 350ยบ; using a 1 T cookie dough scoop, scoop onto parchment lined rimmed baking sheets (I was able to get 48 cookies if I didn't eat any dough). Press down gently with two fingers to flatten the dough a bit. Bake for 12 minutes. Cool and then spread glaze on top.

Glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
2 T lemon juice
1/8 t lemon extract
Whisk to spreading consistency (adding more lemon juice by teaspoons if needed) and frost each cookie. 

Comments