Skip to main content

Pumpkin Cakelets with Bourbon Glaze

 


Attention bargain shoppers: I found this Nordic Ware autumn cakelet pan at T.J. Maxx for $15! I have found many a Nordic Ware pan at our local T.J. Maxx/Homegoods and have an impressive collection by now.

And I’m pretty sure that ‘cakelet’ is an actual word….hear that, autocorrect?

Adapted from a recipe in BH&G, I swapped out vegetable oil for olive oil because the resulting earthy moistness pairs well with pumpkin and I scaled it way down to make just 8 little precious cakelets. Now that we are empty-nesters, I find myself doing a lot of mathematics to scale down recipes, but feel free to do a little math yourself and scale back up if you like. Enjoy these with a nice afternoon cup of coffee!

For the cakelets: 
1/2 cup of flour
3/8 cup of sugar
1/2 t baking powder
1/4 t baking soda
1/8 t salt
1/2 t pumpkin pie spice mix
4 oz. pumpkin purée
1 egg
1/4 cup olive oil (not extra-virgin)

Spray your cakelet pan with Baker’s Joy (properly or else your cakes will stick) and preheat the oven to 350º. Whisk all the ingredients in a medium bowl until the batter is smooth and divide among the forms; there is enough batter- trust me. If you don’t have the special pan, you could do this in a small 6” cake pan or mini sheet pan (available at King Arthur). Bake for 15 minutes or so. I have a convection oven and they baked up perfectly at 15 minutes. Let them cool and then turn out onto a wire rack. Using a baggie with the corner cut out or just a spoon, drizzle glaze over the cakelets. Try to do a better job than I did.

For the bourbon glaze:
1/2 cup powdered sugar
3-4 teaspoons bourbon
Mix with a small whisk until drizzle consistency 

Comments