Skip to main content

Marinated Skirt Steak


This steak is crazy good- I will never have use for another steak marinade recipe as long as I live (well, maybe...).  The key ingredient to the marinade is the Maggi Sauce which is really indispensable to the recipe; I have no idea what is in it, but it is pure deliciousness. It's not difficult to find and I buy an industrial sized bottle from our local ethnic store. This is adapted from Mexican Made Easy.

1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
4 T Maggi seasoning sauce
5-6 garlic cloves, minced
1 serrano chili, stemmed, seeded and finely chopped
pepper
1/2 cup olive oil
3 lbs skirt steak (outer skirt steak is preferable)

Mix all the marinade ingredients and marinade steak for at least 6 hours and preferably overnight. Take it out of the fridge about 1 hour before you want to grill. I grilled this for 5 minutes and then 4 minutes on the other side but I think that was too long- it should probably be more like 4 min. per side (or even 3 1/2 minutes per side). Sorry for the ambiguity- I don't usually time it and this last time when I did, I found that I had just slightly overcooked it. Personally, I find overcooked steak to be very disappointing so it's better to go a little less time, cut into it and see if it's to your liking.  I let this rest for 15 minutes in a 13 X 9 glass dish, covered and then slice it very thin. It's really, really yummy. You can use it for tacos as well.

Comments