Skip to main content

Iceberg Wedge Salad

I confess that I am extremely biased against iceberg lettuce, but I make this for my husband's birthday because he loves and craves iceberg lettuce. And even though it seems like something Betty Draper would make, I have to admit it's delicious. There is a terrific poem called The Iceberg Theory by Gerald Locklin which is an homage to the much maligned lettuce.

Blue Cheese Dressing:
1 cup crumbled blue cheese
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 clove garlic, pressed
1 T red wine vinegar (or lemon juice)

Stir everything together. Cut iceberg into wedges and put on individual plates. Spoon dressing over and top with the following:

crumbled, cooked bacon pieces
fried shallots (sliced and fried in canola oil- watch it carefully, it burns quickly).

Serve with a martini or two or five to really live the Mad Men experience....


Comments