Skip to main content

Spiced Chickpeas and Spinach

I can't even believe how much I LOVED this dish-- it's a fresh to death explosion of delicious flavor. It makes a great entree (throw a fried egg on top to make it more substantial) or can be a loving companion to grilled salmon (in my case, tandoori salmon). The recipe calls for ordinary curry powder but I can't stand the stuff so I used tandoori spice (a premixed version). I will also give you a recipe for tandoori spice if you would prefer to make it yourself. If you like curry powder, still use the tandoori spice because I like that better. Best of all, the entire recipe, start to finish, takes about a total of 10 minutes! What could be better???

3 T canola oil
1 small red or white onion, sliced
2 T finely chopped fresh ginger
1 T tandoori spice
1 t garam masala
1/8 t cayenne pepper
1 1/4 t salt
15 oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes, preferably Muir Glen fire-roasted (do not drain)
8 oz. baby spinach
1/4 c chopped cilantro
Greek yogurt or sour cream for topping
Naan for serving alongside

Heat oil and add onion, ginger and spices. cook for about 3 minutes. Add the chickpeas, salt and tomatoes. Add the spinach by the handful and cook until wilted down. Add cilantro and serve with a dollop of yogurt and some naan.

Tandoori Spice:
1 t sweet paprika
3/4 t hot dry mustard (I used Coleman's because that's what I had and it was delicious)
1/2 t cumin
1/2 t coriander
1/4 t nutmeg
1/4 t cardamom
1/4 t turmeric
1/4 t cayenne
1/4 t freshly ground black pepper


Comments