Skip to main content

Corn Fritters with Spicy Remoulade

I made these to go with the chicken gumbo from the other day-- they were pure, deep-fried heaven! I made my own aioli to go in the remoulade but it is certainly easier to use Hellman's mayo. Serve with an ice cold beer.

2 T olive oil
1 cup grated zucchini
3/4 cup fresh or frozen, thawed corn kernels
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
chopped fresh herbs of your choice (I happened to have chives in the fridge)
3/4 cup flour
1/2 cup plus 2 T Jiffy corn muffin mix
1 T sugar
1/2 t kosher salt
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 egg

In a saute pan, heat the oil over medium heat and add the zucchini, corn and onion; sauté for about 5 minutes or so until the zucchini is less watery and the veggies are lightly browned.

Whisk milk and egg in a bowl; add the dry ingredients and mix just until moistened. Gently add the zucchini mixture and refrigerate the batter for 30 minutes.

Pour about 2" of vegetable oil into a heavy pot and heat (the recipe says to heat to 325º; I didn't use a thermometer-- just heated until it seemed hot but 325º seems a little low to me-- I would go 350º if I were to use a thermometer). Using 2 tablespoons scrape the batter into the oil and fry turning occasionally until golden. You can make these whatever size suits your mood. I like to make them on the small side. Serve with spicy rémoulade.

Rémoulade:
1/2 cup mayo
1 heaping T coarse-grained dijon mustard
1 t dijon
2 T horsesradish
2 T chopped scallions
1/8 t - 1/4 t cayenne pepper (to taste, start with the smaller amount and add more as desired)
1/2 t paprika
salt and pepper to taste


Comments