Skip to main content

The Violet Beauregarde (aka blueberry margarita)

I got this idea from my friend Julie who was telling me about a blueberry, basil and black pepper pie one of her co-workers made. I thought it would be delicious to make a syrup with those flavors and use it in a margarita. I made this drink once using Grand Marnier and once using a blueberry liqueur which is a little more difficult to find but worth having if you love cocktails like I do. The syrup can be used for any type of drink- the possibilities are endless. If you really want to jazz it up, mix a little chili powder or Tajin in with the salt.

Blueberry, Basil & Black Pepper Syrup:

1 cup water
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups blueberries
2 or 3 leaves of basil
1 t black peppercorns, lightly crushed

Put all ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for about 4 or 5 minutes until thick and syrupy looking. Let steep for 1 hour and then strain into a jar. 

For the cocktail:

2 oz. tequila (I used blanco but nothing fancy)
1/2 oz. Grand Marnier, triple sec or blueberry liqueur (I used Poli Mirtillo)
1 oz. lime juice (freshly squeezed only, please)
1 oz. blueberry syrup

Put all ingredients into a cocktail shaker and fill with ice; shake for 20 seconds or so and strain into a salt-rimmed glass. You can serve this on the rocks or straight up- either is delicious. This makes one teensy drink.

Comments