Skip to main content

Prickly Pear Margarita

Who knew that prickly pears were such a gorgeous color??? My daughter had one of these in a Mexican restaurant and I was compelled to try and duplicate it. This is an adaptation of an adaptation of a Rick Bayless recipe via the Chicago Sun Times. I added quite a bit more tequila because, well.... it kind of tasted like a glass of juice, and I firmly believe that juice is for children. Don't wear white clothing while drinking this libation!

1 cup prickly pear puree (recipe follows)
3/4 to 1 cup fresh lime juice (depending upon how tart you like it- I thought 3/4 was good)
1/2 cup agave syrup
1/2 cup Torres orange liquor or triple sec
1 1/2 cups blue agave blanco tequila (I like the Kirkland brand at Costco- a great bargain also)
kosher salt mixed with chili powder for the rims

Mix all ingredients except the salt in a pitcher. Pour over ice in a shaker and shake for a good 20 seconds or so; strain into chili salt-rimmed glasses (trust me- the chili salt is goooooooood)

For prickly pear puree:
I used 9 prickly pears to make 2 cups of puree. Cut off the ends and peel the rind. Scoop the fruit into a food processor and process until smooth. Strain through a sieve into a container. I will be making more of this puree to freeze.

Comments